Shop Till You Drop!

An increase in technology and a global pandemic has caused many shoppers to switch to online shopping. In total over 69% of Americans have shopped online before, making it a very popular way of purchasing products, according to Optinmonster statistics.

The most popular products bought online consist of clothes, cleaning supplies, school supplies, technology, and even groceries. During lockdown due to COVID-19 many shoppers found it more efficient to shop online and stay out of stores to not risk their chances of coming in contact with the virus.

When asking students at UAIS if they preferred online shopping rather than in-store shopping, 72.5% of students surveyed prefer shopping in stores while only 27.5% of the students like shopping online. Although this statistic may be surprising due to the recent increase of online shoppers in this modern-era we are living in, UAIS students like to experience the more “traditional” way of shopping.

via https://www.quickenloans.com/blog/online-shopping-traditional-instore-shopping

How do young teenagers shop online?

Along with surfing the web, mobile shopping has increased in popularity. Not only is it easily accessible, with applications specifically designed for shopping on mobile devices, but it is also user-friendly and convenient. The opportunity to make a purchase is at our fingertips at all times. In fact, Optinmonster states that Generation Z is twice as likely to shop on their devices compared to Millennials.

Most large companies have a mobile app that allows users to browse and shop on an interface made for a smaller screen size. This is helpful to easily navigate, shop, and checkout. Social media companies have even taken advantage of electronic commerce (e-commerce) to increase engagement on their platforms.

Instagram is a leading company that gives users access to shop directly on their social media app. Different store accounts from small to large businesses have the ability to tag products in photos, videos, and stories that are available to purchase. This gives people the ability to shop no matter where they are in the app.

via https://www.allure.com/story/instagram-in-app-shopping-feature

With a simple tap, purchasing on Instagram is as easy as ever. After selecting a product through its tag, you view the description, price, and options for sizing/color. Finally, Instagram takes you to a secure checkout to complete your mobile purchase.

Advertisements create even more engagement on online interfaces giving sites the ability to track what products consumers are interested in. This takes place through behavioral targeting. Information is collected on web browsers with the help of cookies.

Cookies are data that is stored on users’ device that gives them the option to either accept websites to remember browsing activity, or decline. It is a common message that appears when entering a website. Possible tracked items include pages visited and searches made. Conveniently delivering online advertisements to users most interested in certain products, cookies are helpful to precisely determine one’s shopping interests.

What could be more important than the product?

The packaging.  Nowadays companies care almost as much about the product as they do the packaging. Major aspects include design and materials used. If the packaging is different and unique, it gains consumers’ attention, resulting in them being more likely to remember the company. This marketing technique allows companies to experiment with creative freedom and create a good impression of their brand.

An on the rise beauty company founded in 2014, Glossier focuses on the packaging both inside and outside of the box. A standard sticker seals the box from the outside, and when people break into the box, a pale pink interior with a simplistic message is shown. Not only that, but a seasonal sticker is included with the purchase to help promote the brand even more.

via https://www.lumi.com/blog/inside-the-box-designs Glossier and Cody Johnathan

Glossier is concerned about the environment as well. To keep the product secure during the delivery process, a reusable millennial pink bubble wrap pouch holds the product within the box. The company has recently added a “Less Packaging” option at checkout to allow buyers the option to receive the pouch and other unnecessary packaging.

Students at UAIS are also in support of eco-friendly packaging considering that of the students surveyed, 70% would be likely to request eco-friendly packaging if given the option. If this trend continues, hopefully eco-friendly or limited packaging will continue to be a beneficial way to recycle materials used in online orders.

With all this in mind, will you be stepping foot into a store? Will you try out buying products online from an app or an e-commerce store? Don’t forget to be aware of materials that go into the packaging of your order and remember… happy shopping!