2018 Music: A Year in Review

Back to Article
Back to Article

2018 Music: A Year in Review

Popular rapper Travis Scott erupted in 2018

Google Images

Google Images

Google Images

Christian Media, Reporter

With the end of 2018, the world has seen lots of hits from artists such as Ariana Grande and Travis Scott, two of the most popular artists among the UAIS student body. A survey was sent out asking students to record their favorite genre of music, artist, album, and song of 2018. Pop and rap are among the most popular genres of students.

There is also a wide variety of preferred music genres, from oldies to k-pop. The South Korean boy band BTS has some popularity among students. It’s clear that there is music diversity present across the board.

According to Billboard charts, the top artist of 2018 is Drake, while Travis Scott and Ariana Grande place 12th and 14th, respectively. The top 3 songs are God’s Plan, Perfect, and Meant To Be. Ariana Grande had a strong year on Billboard, with Thank U, Next peaking at #1 on the Hot 100. She also had No Tears Left To Cry peaking at #3. Sweetener also peaked at #1 on the Billboard 200. The Houston-born rapper Travis Scott also saw lots of popularity among the student body with the release of the highly anticipated album, Astroworld. Travis Scott saw his first #1 Hot 100 hit with Sicko Mode. Astroworld also reached #1 status on the Billboard 200, becoming his second album to reach #1.

Ariana Grande’s fourth studio album, Sweetener, was released on August 17, 2018. The album earned 231,000 album-equivalent units sold in its first week. It was given a rating of 8.1 by Pitchfork.com and received quite well by fans.

Astroworld, Travis Scott’s third studio album, was released on August 3, 2018. The explosive album sold about 555,000 album-equivalent units in its first week. It was highly anticipated as it was worked on for over 2 years, constantly having the fans waiting. The review given by Pitchfork.com was a 7.8. Overall, Astroworld proved to be a powerful work by Travis Scott, however leaving many fans a little disappointed given the amount of time they had to wait for new music.

“Music in 2018 was good, with Lupe Fiasco, Kanye West, Playboi Carti, and Anderson .Paak dropping great albums,” says UAIS junior Milan Mihailovic. “However, artists like A$AP Rocky and J. Cole also released disappointing albums” in reference to Testing and KOD, respectively.

With 2019 in question, there is a lot of great music on the way. Albums are expected by The Weeknd, J. Cole, and Juice WRLD, to name a few. The Weeknd hasn’t released an album since Starboy in 2016, so fans are patiently awaiting his next work. Juice WRLD is a new artist in the game rising in prominence throughout 2018, with Goodbye and Good Riddance showing off what he has to offer in the music world.

Overall 2018 was a great year for music and we saw many great albums and singles on the way. UAIS students enjoy a large range of the music produced along with some of the top contenders of 2018. Looking ahead, the student body is excited for the music yet to come in 2019.

What listening platform do you use for music?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

• 2018 Music: A Year in Review

Clubs

Forensic team finishing strong

• 2018 Music: A Year in Review

Features

Entrance testing time is here

• 2018 Music: A Year in Review

Features

Fortnite: Cool or Drool?

• 2018 Music: A Year in Review

Features

The Evolution of Olympics

• 2018 Music: A Year in Review

Features

The Double Feature: Android v. Apple

• 2018 Music: A Year in Review

Features

The Double Feature: Arming Teachers

• 2018 Music: A Year in Review

Arts

Art Exhibitions 2018

• 2018 Music: A Year in Review

Clubs

Forensic team finishing strong

• 2018 Music: A Year in Review

Features

Entrance testing time is here

• 2018 Music: A Year in Review

FYI

Cross(en) Over!

2018 Music: A Year in Review