Strive for a Five

Strive for a Five

Emily Wrobel, Reporter

(Source: Keepcalm-o-matic.co.uk)

Every year millions of students world wide prepare to take Advanced Placement tests during the month of May. AP exams can help you save money on tuition and earn credit and placement for college classes you are required to take. Most colleges offer credit to students who score a 3 or higher on the exam. However, achieving these coveted scores requires a lot of hard work and dedication on the part of the students.

Many AP exams, such as AP US History and AP World History, cover a wide range of knowledge spanning over thousands of years. This alone causes a lot of stress for students planning to take these exams, as they worry about things they may have forgotten. A great way to prevent forgetting knowledge you learned earlier in the year is to attend AP study clubs held at UAIS after school. Junior Nate Bratkowski attended study clubs when he was preparing for his exams in sophomore year.  “Study club helped me learn information I might have missed the first time around,” noted Nate. Study clubs are there to help students review the material in order to be effectively prepared for the AP exams.

Image result for ap world history timeline
An example of a timeline for the world history exam (Source: Pinterest)

Many students have different methods for studying for their AP Exams. I was able to interview senior Collin Syler who detailed what he believes are the most effective study methods. “Creating items like flow charts, timelines, and maps is what worked best for me,” he discussed. He also noted that he doesn’t believe studying in big chunks right before the exam is beneficial. He discussed that the most effective studying method would be, “studying for perhaps 20 minutes daily.”  Doing this would allow students to retain more information rather then cramming the night before.

Another beneficial suggestion is to stay consistent with studying. Senior Jennifer Yoo thinks that setting “a date and time every week when you’re going to study,” will help students get the studying done and not procrastinate.

Another popular suggestion is to not stress yourself out too much while studying, take five-minute breaks every 30 minutes. This will not only improve your concentration but it will give you some much needed down time.

Hopefully this advice will help you feel more prepared and ready for the AP exams this May. If you still feel uncertain attached are some links that detail more advice and general information for the exams. Happy testing!

https://apstudent.collegeboard.org/apcourse/ap-united-states-history/exam-tips

https://apstudent.collegeboard.org/creditandplacement/search-credit-policies